Monday, February 23, 2015

Baseball and Mom

Allstar Sam Kerr and mother Dorothy Kerr
 Mom loved baseball.  She played Catcher on the girls baseball team at Santa Monica High School.  When I was 8 years old she encouraged me to try out for the Central Redondo  little league that played at Perry Park.  She usually attended every game in those early years.  But for some reason my second game in the Majors, playing for Banner Drug she was at home trimming her rose bushes that lined the driveway.  We lived close enough that during a game you could hear the announcer and cheers from the crowd.  You might not know what the announcer actually said but you could hear.  She was trimming away and heard a loud roar from the crowd and thought she heard my name.  When I got home, and she found out that at 10 years old I had hit my first home run she told my dad that she would never miss another game.  She held true to that through all 4 of us as we progressed through Little League, Pony League, Babe Ruth League and High School.
Jason Kerr, Grandma Kerr, Joshua Kerr

Living in Aqua Dulce from 1972 through 1978 Jason and Joshua played in the Canyon Country Little league.  And when she could, Grandma was there for them too.

Both Mom and Dad were very active in the Redondo Beach Little League operations.  Another example of the positive  neighborhood involvement that they both set for us as we grew into men with our own families.

No comments:

Post a Comment